Website address: www.secondstory.ca
Email address for general inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Second Story Press is committed to publishing books that explore the themes of social justice, equality, human rights, and ability issues in the realm of Canadian literature.
- The press’s published works aim to “entertain, empower, and educate” adults and young readers.
- The books offer a place to discuss difficult topics, give a voice to women, and engage a variety of marginalized groups, thus promoting various social movements.
- Second Story looks for submissions that deal with the diverse perspectives of girls and women, preferably written by a Canadian woman.
Notable past and current activities:
- One of Second Story’s children’s books, Hana’s Suitcase, was named The Ultimate Silver Birch Book, voted in honour of the award program’s 20th anniversary.
- The press co-sponsored ALA Booklist’s webinar, “Trials and Tribulations: Hard Topics for Youth,” featuring various Second Story publications that focus on difficult topics such as: The Holocaust, LGBTQ Community, etc.
- Second Story hosted the “Aboriginal Writing Contest” in celebration of their 25th The contest was open to authors from the First Nations, Metis, and Inuit communities from ages 8-18 years old.
- One of their most notable children’s books, Everyday is Malala Day, is a response to the Nobel Peace Prize Winner and author of I Am Malala. Everyday is Malala Day contains photographs from Plan International where girls from around the world express their support for Malala.
Ways to get involved:
- SUBMIT: If you are a Canadian woman with an unpublished manuscript that deals with issues of social justice and equality, mail your submissions to: Second Story Press, 20 Maud Street, Suite 401 Toronto, ON, M5V 2M5, Canada
- SIGN UP: Visit secondstorypress.ca to sign up for their newsletter, featuring more information about contests, new releases, special offers.
- READ: Visit your local bookstore or Second Story’s website to purchase any of their published works to show your support.
- SHARE: Form a book club and visit secondstorypress.ca/book-clubs for book recommendations and accompanying reader’s guides.
Information compiled by: Megan Yim