Website address: mtml.ca
Email address for general inquiries: email@example.com
- MTML is an umbrella organization for over forty Literacy and Basic Skills (LBS) service providers in Toronto and the York region. The primary focus of LBS service providers is adult literacy.
- MTML is one of sixteen regional networks in Ontario.
- MTML provides support for LBS service providers, mainly acting in a facilitative role.
- MTML is funded by the Ontario Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development. It has a board of directors and two staff members. It does not employ volunteers except for its Annual Learners’ Conference.
Notable past and current activities:
- Meets with LBS service providers in quarterly meetings to discuss issues and address needs.
- Has produced several projects and publications for the benefit of LBS service providers and adult literacy learners, available free on MTML’s website.
- Has organized the Annual Learners’ Conference for fifteen years. This conference is attended by 300 literacy learners, and hosted at North York Central Library. It features workshops and presentations on topics such as learning and violence, digital literacy, health literacy, etc.
- Refers learners and volunteers to suitable LBS programs.
Ways to get involved:
- Volunteer for the Annual Learners Conference. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Donate to MTML at www.canadahelps.org/dn/9986.
- Volunteer to help one of MTML’s member organizations. A great place to start would be to phone MTML’s Literacy Access Network (a.k.a their LAN-line) and ask them where you can volunteer. The LAN-line: (416) 961-5557.
Information compiled by Hadley Staite.